Saturday, September 21, 2013

Marmite Irish Soda Bread and the Death of the Oven

IMG_1436

IMG_1427

Yesterday I made another two loaves with slightly amended ingredients - one "control" loaf and one Marmite flavoured loaf. The winner of the night was the Marmite Soda Bread, which we ate with cheese. Our taste testers reported that they enjoyed its aftertaste and that it could be eaten on its own, as eating it with cheese was quite a salty affair. The colour of the bread was also a deep brown instead of white.

Ingredients:
250g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate
200ml semi-skimmed milk
half a lemon
two tablespoons marmite
half teaspoon salt
one teaspoon dark brown sugar


Note a slight increase in flour used. I found that I had to add a substantial amount of flour to make it less sticky. I need to get a measuring cup so that I can be more accurate with liquid measurements, rather than asking my assistant to "pour about 40% of this half-imperial-pint container of milk into this cup of lemon juice".

Method:
Put milk and lemon together and allow to curdle for 15 minutes. Mix all other dry ingredients together, and stir in the soured milk to make a dough. Knead to distribute ingredients evenly, roll into a round shape and score it with a knife on top, then place on a greased baking tray and bake at 180c for 40 minutes. It is done when its brown, sounds hollow when tapped, and most certainly done when the oven door has fallen off.

Screen Shot 2013-09-21 at 11.16.38 AM.png

so said #G1U5EPPE on instagram

This was of no fault of my own, but I had the unusual fortune of being the one who would bake the last loaf that would cause the oven to disintegrate.

IMG_1428

GEORGE also made excellent toasted vegetable and tofu wraps with leerdammer. They were toasted until they were almost crisp, reminding me of the corn tostados which I was so crazy about in Mexico. I should like to find corn versions of these wraps to make food with, and perhaps in smaller debbiesizes. Anyway, it looks like we shall have to explore making wraps and other things whilst the oven gets fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment